Brief History of 7thAST
7thAST has been involved with WWII Online since January of 2001. 7thAST was first created as the United Forces in January of 2001. It consisted of the 1st Infantry (Big Red One (BRO)), 1st Airborne, 1st Armored, and 11th Armored. Immediately after the game's release, it was realized that this organization would not work well with WWIIOL. The squads had a meeting and decided to merge under one squad key. B2k was asked to be the permanent CO. Emporer1 was the 1st XO. It was hoped that with the consolidation to one squad key and merging of chains of command, that the squad would become more streamlined.
On 2 Aug, 2001, the squad was divided up and was reformed as the 7th Army. 7th Army was originally modeled along the force structure of the US 7th Army from WW2. 1st Airborne became 4th Infantry (pending implementation of paratroopers), 11th Armored became 103rd Infantry, and the SOG and 31st Fighter Group were established. We fought under the French flag until the introduction of brigades made aligning with a specific country or area of the map unrealistic.
And thus the 7th Army era was born. From Version 1.01 until Version 1.65, 7th Army became a dominant force on the battlefield. The 31st Fighter Wing was renamed the 41st Jaguars. Briefly, 7th Army also fielded a British sub-squad, the Royal Gurka Regiment. Over time though, we dropped the separate divisions within the squad and now fight as a collective team.
Over time 7th Army and several other squads began to operate together forming divisions. Briefly, 7th Army merged with the 3rd Canadian Division, but soon departed and regained the 7th Army brand. 7th Army then worked closely with the CHawks and formed the 12th Cavalry Division that consisted of both squads. Later, 7th Army began cooperating with the Allied Strike Team (AST) to form the 8th Calvary Division. Eventually this common operational cooperation lead to the merger of 7th Army and AST, thus forming the 7th Army Allied Strike Team (7thAAST), later to be shortened to 7thAST.
WWIIOL struggled to survive, and 7thAST struggled to survive as well. A few hardcore players kept the squad alive, and as the game rebounded under new leadership, 7thAST began to grow again and thrive. With a few old players coming back and newer players taking on a leadership role, today's 7thAST has become one of the biggest squads in the game.
Because of the explosive growth of the squad, we have determined Rules of Conduct need to be expressly conveyed to all players of the squad. Failure to obey the rules can lead to removal from the squad. As a member of this squad, you directly represent this squad to the community. Your actions in game can adversely affect the perception of our squad as a whole, and therefore, we have created the Code of Conduct so that each player understands their own roles within the squad.
Squad Member Roles and Responsibilities-
- Recruits: Recruits are members that have yet to communicate with the squad via text or voice. Recruits will not be promoted to member until they attempt to communicate, sign up for our forums and acknowledge our Code of Conduct. If a recruit does not receive a promotion within 1 week, the recruit will be automatically removed from the squad.
- Members: Members have communicated with the squad, signed up for our forums and have acknowledged our Code of Conduct. All members are expected to participate with the squad and follow directions when given. All members are strongly encouraged to join our Discord channel. Members that become absent from the game for an extended amount of time without notifying the squad may be removed from the squad.
- Recruiters: Recruiters have shown outstanding commitment to the squad and are promoted by a consensus of XOs or the CO. Recruiters' roles are to recruit (should have their recruit flag on). Recruiters (though not part of squad command) are also tasked with leading the squad when the Squad Command is not on. Recruiters should not attempt to direct the squad unilaterally while other XOs or the CO is on. Recruiters are strongly encouraged to interact with the XOs or the CO if they want to discuss a potential target or squad direction, but should not direct the squad without Squad Command approval. Recruiters shall not remove any player for any reason from the squad. At least one XO or the CO should approve the removal of any player from the squad. Recruiters shall not promote anyone to the Recruiter role nor will they demote other Recruiters. Only a consensus of XOs or the CO have that responsibility. It is acceptable and encouraged for Recruiters to promote from Recruit to Member.
- XOs: Executive Officers have shown outstanding commitment to the squad, shown outstanding team play and have represented the squad in an exceptional manner. XOs are promoted from Recruiter status only by the CO and with unanimous vote of the other XOs. XOs are the battlefield commanders and work with other XOs to find a common target and direct the squad. XOs are expected to promote Recruits and Members. XOs can also recruit up to Recruiter status if a majority of XOs and/or the CO approve before hand. XOs are responsible for demoting and removing players below the rank of XO. XOs shall not promote any member to XO nor remove or demote another XO. Only the CO will promote and demote to and from XO. XOs are expected to play regularly, participate in the forums, participate in squad events and show a commitment to the game and to the squad. XOs that do not play regularly, are gone for extended periods of time without notifying the squad, or do not join the squad regularly during squad night may be demoted to make room for others that deserve the spot and can spend the time it takes to represent the squad.
- CO: The CO has ultimate power as to the direction of the squad.
Code of Conduct-
- Respect: All members will show respect to all members of the squad regardless of rank, as well as players outside of the squad. Publicly demeaning any player is prohibited. Any issues with another squad member should be resolved by the particular parties privately. Feel free to contact any of the Squad Command if your issues cannot be resolved between squad mates. We also welcome all new players to the squad. All members of the squad should help new players get acclimated with the game and the squad.
- Communication: All members are strongly encouraged to use our current voice chat system Discord. Members that do not have a mic, or even do not like speaking, are still encouraged to listen in on Discord. We are a quick strike squad, often forming up within minutes to attack an objective. By listening in on Discord, you will be up to date on what the next target is. Communication is vital to success but can often be abused. Light social banter is encouraged as we like to have fun, and socially interacting with other players is a big part of having fun. However, boisterous chat, talking over or interrupting people, disrespectful behavior and demeaning people on Discord is not allowed. All members using our Discord channel must have Push-To-Talk enabled while speaking. Voice Activated speaking is not allowed. Those that use Voice Activated speaking will be removed from our channel.
- Battle Comms: Battle Comms should be respected. If someone declares on Discord "Battle Comms", all social banter should cease and only game related communication should be voiced. Battle Comms lets others know that you cannot hear the game sounds above the chat on Discord, and in dire situations, it is vital to hear game sounds. Please respect this request when voiced.
- Cooperation: 7thAST is a tight knit group of players that closely cooperate with each other. The CO or XOs may give other players roles and assignments. It is expected that if given an assignment, you should do your best to fulfill that assignment. Generally, we do not require anyone to use any particular vehicle at any one time. Feel free to grab the vehicle of choice as long as you are in or near the squad target area. However, there may be times when we request a particular vehicle to fulfill a mission. Our main goal is to have fun, and coordinating and dominating the enemy is the best fun you can have. With that said, there is no place for lone wolves in the squad. If you decide you would rather go it alone, please join another squad.
- Disruptive Behavior: Any behavior that disrupts the normal flow of the squad is not tolerated. This can include disrespectful behavior on text, in the game or on Discord. Any subjects that could make other players uneasy are strongly discouraged, including politics, religion etc. If it is a controversial subject, it is probably best refrained from. 7thAST does not currently have an age limit, but it is expected that all members act in a mature manner. Younger players acting immaturely and disrupting the squad because of this, may be removed from the squad.
- Allied Play: 7thAST is an Allied Only squad during campaigns. Anyone playing German during a campaign may be removed from the squad. During Intermission, however, any member of the squad can play any side they want in any manner they want as long as they still represent the squad in an appropriate manner.
- Cheating: Cheating is not tolerated in this squad. Any member caught cheating will be immediately removed and banned from the squad. Cheating is defined as exploiting the code to enhance abilities in game and blatantly not obeying the rules set forth by CRS (clipping into buildings etc). Players with multiple accounts are required to have both accounts on the Allied side during a campaign.
In summary, we are not a zero tolerance squad. Our main goal is to have fun. All matters pertaining to the squad are subjective and are given great thought by Squad Command. Have fun, be respectful, represent the squad with dignity, be mindful of what you say and how you act, form up, participate, communicate with the squad and if you have any questions, always feel free to ask.